The above image is from the cover of Confirmands Journal for Making Disciples: A New Approach to Confirmation by William H. Willimon, published by Logos Productions, Inc., Inver Grove Heights, MN, 2008.
We are beginning a new Confirmation Class for the 2018-2019 school year!
Our first Confirmation meeting is on Thursday, January 3, 2019, after school upstairs.
All students in grades 6-9 are welcome to participate. For more information and details on how to have your student involved,
contact Bethany Dunfee, CE Director, at email@example.com or 207-865-4012.
Below is information on our last Confirmation course held in 2015-2016.
Above: the 2015-2016 Confirmation Class final ceremony during worship in June 2016 -- and photos of the group while preparing a meal for Tedford Shelter in Brunswick in March 2016.
2015-2016 Confirmation Class
Schedule and Syllabus / Topics of Discussion
Approved by CE Committee Sept. 20, 2015. ---Revised Sept. 21, 2015
Our Confirmation Class this year is composed of seventh, eighth and ninth grade students. Each student is matched with a mentor who is a member of the church, but not a relative. A large component of Confirmation Class at SFCC is the relationship that is developed between student and mentor. Attending at least 75% of these meetings by both mentor and student is expected, but more informal gatherings outside of these class times with both are encouraged.
All meetings will be on Sunday evenings.
- September 20th 6:00 to 8:00 pm. Welcome, Introductions, Church History and Organization of UCC. Discussion around what it means to be member of the church. Introduction to the workbook and begin first session in the workbook.
- October 4th 6:00 to 8:00 pm. God, Jesus and the Holy Spirit – Review and Discussion of Sessions 2, 3, and 4 of the workbooks.
- October 25th 6:00 to 8:00 pm. Our Church Deacons and Music Committees provide information on how we conduct church services. Church Calendar explored.
- November 15th 6:00 to 8:00 pm. Trustees, Missions and Called to Care Committees describe their roles. Community Service project introduced and discussed.
- December 6th 6:00 to 8:00 pm. Life of Christ – Review and discuss his journey.
- January 10th 6:00 to 8:00 pm. Life of Christ - Introduction of Youth Group and ways to grow in Christ through high school.
- January 24th 6:00 to 8:00 pm. Christian Denominations and other World Religions. Schedule times to visit other churches and religious services.
- February 28th 6:00 to 8:00 pm. Forms of Prayer – Creative ways to talk to God.
- March 6th 6:00 to 8:00 pm. The Bible – Review and discussion of Session 6 in the workbook. The Lord’s Prayer, 10 Commandments, Beatitudes, etc.
- March 20th 6:00 to 8:00 pm. Baptism, Communion, Death and Resurrection – Review and discussion of Sessions 9 and 11 of the workbooks. Readings for Maundy Thursday chosen and given out.
- March 24th 6:30 pm to 8:00 pm. Maundy Thursday Service of Tenebrae-- Mentors and students are expected to do readings.
- April 10th 6:00 to 8:00 pm. Questions on faith, spirituality, and religion. Review and discussion on Sessions 5 and 8 of the workbook.
- May 1st 6:00 to 8:00 pm. Stewardship Committee discusses their role in our church. Follow up discussion of last meeting’s questions. Review and discussion of Session 7 and 12 of the workbook.
- May 15th 6:00 to 8:00 pm. Spiritual Life and How we are called to Service. Review and discussion of Sessions 10 and 13 of the workbook.
- June 5 -- Children’s Sunday. Confirmation Ceremony during worship service.
To successfully complete the Confirmation program, students must at minimum:
- attend at least 12 meetings (75%), (exceptions may be taken under consideration for extenuating circumstances)
- work with their mentor to complete the assigned chapters of the workbook
- complete a community service project,
- visit at least one other religious or church service from a different denomination or religion,
- participate in a church service at SFCC (Maundy Thursday),
- attend an SFCC worship service at least 5 times and provide a short write up about his or her worship experience in church each of those 5 times. (write up forms will be available by September 30.)